Monday 25 October 2010

Happy Cow, Happy Steve

Back to writing again this week…

and with some very good news to share - Milka Happy Cow is currently on the shelves at the International Shop! SO glad that I dropped in before doing a big shop. This more than makes up for their stunt with the Weetabix last month.

So… I’ve been here a few months now. I guess that this is the time when my blog becomes in danger of dying. I mean, I can’t really just keep updating you with news about the latest item on sale in Calvis… can I?!

I continue to thank God every day for the opportunity to come to such a wonderful country to be involved with church plantning. That’s right, ‘plantning’. Actually, we’ve had a great time this weekend as a church. Peter Brooks came from Sydney to be with us for a few days and he served us brilliantly. In particular, he spoke really well at our men’s breakfast about ‘What Real Men Do’, where he addressed some of the silly ideas that are out there and encouraged us to take responsibility, show our emotions, be faithful to everyone, be kind and compassionate, and be people who pursue God…and then we all drank beer and arm-wrestled for several hours (joke). I was happy that a few of the friends I have made through playing tennis came along and seemed to really enjoy themselves.

I had a good day in school today. Was with the special needs class after lunch, which is always fun because it’s a very small class and you can really enjoy the kids in a way that’s just impossible with a class of thirty-six. Arrived early because I usually get a game of table tennis in with one of the kids before class starts. There were only three kids in class today because the other four were outside practicing for their sports festival. The teacher had asked me to show some pictures of England, which I did. After this, we played some more table tennis. There were more than enough bats for everyone and I wanted to teach them ‘Round the table’, but I couldn’t persuade one of the girls or the teacher to play. Wanting to squeeze language out of every situation, I tried to get the students to keep score in English, which they did reluctantly. After this, I went outside to see how they were preparing for the Sports Festival. During the brief period I was out there, about hundred students were working in groups of four, each group carrying one student up on their shoulders. Upon command, they all ran into the middle of the pitch and started whacking one another over the head, much to the joy of staff and students alike and to the bewilderment of me with my western brain. Everyday here is still full of mystery and surprise, but that’s all part of the fun!

So, that’s the main events of my week reported, and maybe that’s all this blog needs to do. I don’t know. Answers on a postcard…

3 comments:

  1. We love hearing about the day to day stuff... keep the updates coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me smile at the end of a busy day to sit down and read what you've been up too... After all I cant chuckle at inappropriate moments in worship or pray any more so this is the substitute smile time :) Much love and prays defiantly keep it coming!!! Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weekly shopping updates about Calvi's, the random cultural things you happen upon, the penguin walk you're doing. i like reading about all of them. and i would postcard answer it for you but i don't have your address :(

    ReplyDelete