Wednesday 22 September 2010

Konnichiwa, toire wa doko desu ka?

Having had a few requests after last time for more than just stories about dodgy soups and spilt milk, I hope that today's blog entry satisfies people's curiosity.


I'm currently working in two Junior High schools, each of which has about 800 students, aged 13-15 or something like that. I alternate between each school every three or four weeks. So far, it's been a lot of fun! My role is simple: engage students in conversation wherever, whenever and however I can. This is easy because it's just so rare to meet a non-Japanese person in Japan, so students are naturally curious. Sometimes they get quite excited! The other day, I went into one class and a kid stood up, pointed at me and repeated over and over at the top of his voice 'Steven Gerrard! Steven Gerrard!' He probably carried on like this for close to a minute. Whether or not he thought I actually was Steven Gerrard (Liverpool and England footballer) is up for debate, but you can imagine the delight I took in introducing myself as Stephen, which sent him into a spasm.
I make my fair share of mistakes too. Realised today that I'd been reassuring whole classes of students that a quiz I'd made about myself was inexpensive, rather than easy.
Contrary to what you may think after the last story, I am studying Japanese fervently, particularly during free periods when I haven't any marking to do. I really want to be able to deepen my relationships with people that I have met, especially folk at church. Progress is slow when all you can say is 'Konnichiwa' and 'Where is the toilet?' Had a really nice day on Monday. It was a national holiday and our life group plus friends went to visit a castle and then went onto Japan's largest lake, where I swam. Also played football on Sunday night, which was a good time of relating to some of the Japanese guys without the need for any language.

So, I hope that's satisfied your apetite for information. Please keep in touch. I love getting your little messages and it also provides me with a welcome break from thinking in Japanese.

Lots of love, Steven Gerrard x

9 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you Steve! Hows things with the church at the moment? Good to hear you're getting to communicate via football :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Stevie G! Loving the blog, glad to hear you're getting on well, sounds amazing! Keep up the good work mate, God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Communicating via football eh, where's the frisbee action Steve?! Get the disks flowing my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steve. Fascinating to hear your account. I reckon you'll be fine with Japanese, even though it's not one of the easiest languages. But you've got the motivation and also ongoing exposure to it, so half the battle is won. Don't let yourself be distracted by the feeling that the more you learn, the less you realise how little you know. That's normal. Take it step by step and rejoice over each new thematic area or grammar topic you may have conquered. Love & blessings. Hugh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve you make me laugh!!!! Miss u! Whenever I feel the pleasant sensation of steam rising from a hot drink I'll think of you & your eye brows as I did last night while drinking coffee at Cormel's small group... great to hear the stories as well as the real life. Claire

    ReplyDelete
  6. Domo Arrigato, Stephen-san!
    We love your updates, inexpensive or not :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Surely football is our lingua franca Steve! BTW if you watch Fuji TV's football programmes (I think it's called "Soccer Kozo (サッカー小僧)" you might see a British commentator who speaks Japanese. He'll appear on TV with Liverpool jersey. His name is
    Tony Crosbie (トニー・クロスビー), so say hello to him for me (of course we've never met, heeheehee!)
    http://www.google.co.jp/images?hl=ja&q=%E3%83%88%E3%83%8B%E3%83%BC%E3%83%BB%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AD%E3%82%B9%E3%83%93%E3%83%BC&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=R5uaTOvLN4zJ4Aa15NWhAQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CDMQsAQwAw&biw=1024&bih=593
    Mikio

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steven Gerrard - did the student pass out?

    I had to ask my dad how to say in Korean, 'Excuse me, do you have a minute, I'm lost and need to find my way to ...' So, you're doing well with the 'Where's the toilet'.

    I love reading your blog posts and your sense of humour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Steve,

    It's so great to hear about what is going on in Japan.

    God Bless

    Russell

    ReplyDelete